The Department of Communications, Climate Action & Environment are currently in the tender process for a National Broadband Plan (NBP). This Contract when awarded will bring broadband to areas of the Country where it is thought not to be economically viable for a commercial operator to provide this service. In County Galway this plan will bring Broadband to 38,975 properties that is 29 % of the total properties in County Galway via a Government intervention.
Galway County Council role in this plan is as the facilitator of the National Broadband Plan rollout and will work with the winning tenderer to facilitate the roll out of broadband in County Galway.
Broadband will be supplied to the remaining 95,342 properties via a mix of Commercial Operators and Planned Rural Deployment, broken down as follows;
- 77,252 properties that is 58 % of the total properties in County Galway via a Commercial Operators
- 18,090 properties that is 13 % of the total properties in County Galway via a Planned Rural Deployment
National Broadband Plan (NBP) - Overview
The Department published the National Broadband Plan (NBP) in August 2012. This is a Government wide initiative to deliver high speed broadband services to all businesses and households in Ireland. The NBP defines high speed broadband as a minimum speed of 30Mbps download and 6Mbps upload. This is being achieved through a combination of:
- Commercial investment by the telecommunications sector and
- A State Intervention in those areas where commercial providers acting alone will not provide this essential service
An interactive High Speed Broadband Map and all the other resources you may need to get information on the National Broadband Plan are available below
Update on the National Broadband Plan Tender :
Contract has not yet been awarded – Provisional Award Date Q3 2018
Check your location for Broadband service under the National Broadband Plan .
The High Speed Broadband Map identifies locations and premises as being AMBER, BLUE or LIGHT BLUE.
- AMBER areas - which are the target areas for the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan. This is the subject of an ongoing procurement process.
- BLUE areas - where commercial operators are delivering or have indicated plans to deliver high speed broadband services. Operators are continuing to enhance their services in these areas to improve access to high speed broadband. Please contact the Department at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie to let them know if you cannot get high speed broadband from the providers in your area. It would be helpful if you could advise the Department of any operators you may have contacted.
- LIGHT BLUE areas - areaswhere eir has committed to commercial rural deployment plans to rollout high speed broadband to 300,000 premises by the end of 2018.
You can find your premises on the interactive map by:
1) Entering your Eircode, use Eircode Finder tool
2) Entering your address in the search box
3) Zooming in on the map.
Getting Citizens Online - Training Scheme
Galway County Council wishes to bring to the attention of all, the availability of basic digital skills training under the “Digital Skills for Citizens”. Scheme funded by Department of Communications, Climate Action & Environment.
Information Brochure on these classes are available to download from the links below, they are available in in both Irish and English versions.